Country Livin'

Country Livin'

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Meeting with Harry

Did you know that mice have bones that collapse and this is why they can get into small spaces? Spaces as small as a dime? I didn't know this until Harry told me.

Harry...he's the Monmouth pest control (specializing in termites) "guy". He came by one day and left a note on our door. I threw it on the table with the mail, where it sat for a day or two -- until we caught another mouse. Then I discreetly (not really) shoved it at my husband and said, "I'm calling Harry".

Now Harry's flyer, mind you, didn't say anything about mice. But it did say a word I liked: "free" inspection. It showed a rat, which is a rodent, so I figured Harry could come out and tell us where the mice were getting in at and we could solve this problem. This "problem" has grown to be over 10 mice in the last four months, at least, and that isn't an accurate account. I try to block it out so I lost track.

Harry's main job was to do an inspection for termites, so the woman on the phone informed me that he would do that...and look for the mice entry point. Great. I could care less about the termites.

Now, you should know, my husband was basically going along with this -- probably because it was free -- but he did not see a need or urgency for Harry, which is why he got enjoyment out of the results.

The results? Me learning mice facts (see above) and finding slight termite damage in the basement (great!). There's no way to determine completely where the mice are getting in, many people are having this problem this year, the most you can do is "control" (not eliminate) the rodents, blah, blah, blah. None of this made me feel better...plus I had to listen to a lecture on termites and other rodents. And then he informed me that next time he wanted all the "decision makers" to be present, such as my husband...

He didn't know who he was talking to like that. But that is another story.

My husband (and my father-in-law, whom pulled up to the house, saw the "Monmouth Termite" car and promptly called my husband to find out what the problem was) got great enjoyment out of my crash and burn attempt with bringing in "Harry" to save the day. I didn't care...I could handle their teasing. What I can't handle is this problem...

It's a bummer. I never thought I would have rodents in my house and it is so challenging to overcome my frustrations daily. They just keep coming, and I have no idea where they have been, where they will be found. This is why I pinned my hopes on Harry.

There was another mouse the other night -- as if he was taunting me and reminding me that he can get in. He got around the trap this time. However, then we were watching TV last night and I heard a loud click. Josh said, "What was that?"  I told him "Ahaha -- it had to be the mouse, I bet, in the trap" -- got him. We continue to fight the battle.

My husband puts on his gloves and removes the mouse. I never have to. My husband listens to me go off every time we find a mouse -- yipping and yelling about how I want our house to be clean, I want our house to smell nice, I want our house to be rodent free, where are they coming from, etc., etc. He listens. He says he's sorry.

I know. It's not his fault. It's no one's fault. Well...it could be Harry's fault. Damn Harry.

No comments:

Post a Comment