Country Livin'

Country Livin'

Friday, December 30, 2011

Merry, Merry Moments

The cows were out again earlier this week. And I didn't even really flinch, which maybe means I am a country girl now. We caught two-three mice in the house (that still causes me to flinch). And, I have now heard the coyotes outside at night. Oh, and there is the issue of the zonkey...well, I am not sure that is what it is really called, but what people at work referred to it as. It's an animal on the farm near by on the corner. It's a mix between a donkey and a zebra -- therefore, a "zonkey" sounded logical to me. We think the zonkey is gone now. It hasn't been seen for weeks. And, it has been noted that there is a white cross in the yard. Which made me say "What?!" Is this zonkey buried on the land on the farm? Someone said it could be. They said it costs to have someone come pick up your large animals so some just get buried -- horses, cows, pigs...and zonkeys. So...in my mortification...I realized...I could be walking on ground where your horse or cow is buried? People said "what do you do with your animals in the city?" Yes, it is true, we have been known to bury a fish, a bird, or something of the small variety. But once we start getting to dog or cat variety, it seems a bit big for the backyard. I looked at our own ground that night. Nothing looks like it has been disturbed in years, and there are no white crosses...but you never know. And Josh probably wouldn't tell me if there were animals buried here. I am about 90% confident there is not...but I won't be able to say the same when I walk on your farm land!

If you have not seen it, here is the photo of what happens when my fiance decorates...


Oh yes, he got very excited about this purchase when he presented the idea to me, and next thing I knew, we had this fabulous sign. I have to admit, it's very humorous. Especially with the deer next to it...deer that were from his grandmother and don't really work to their full extent -- but no matter, he still saw their purpose this holiday season. I wanted to put something outside in the ground, and my lovely said "The ground is too hard now, it's too cold out." Yet, soon we had this -- rooted in the ground. Needless to say, I put up my own sign, hard ground or not. And, I never did comment on this purchase...it makes him happy...and there was those two trips I took to JoAnn Fabrics last month...so we might be even.

Hard to believe I have lived here six months now. I still can't burn the trash and I am still working hard to figure out the recycling, what can be trash (to be burned) and what goes in the junk pile. It's more complicated than it sounds. I am still adjusting to well water, and the wind that blows right through our empty fields into my chilled bones. I am still learning how to get around. But many things are better and even nice. I enjoy the peace and quiet. Josh will never get use to locking the doors. I will always miss not being able to have a pizza delivered. But we are making it work! Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment